top of page

UK Intergroup Representatives and Minutes

Anne S - Friday London online meeting

Becs L - Tuesday Newcastle face to face meeting

Liz - Thursday Lancaster face to face meeting

Robert - Sunday Nottingham face to face meeting

Terron - Tues & Thursday Newcastle online meetings

Heather - Sunday Reading online meeting

Nick B - Monday online meeting

Erin - Wednesday Online meeting

 

Minutes - Date: 05/03/2024

Present: Ann S, NickB, Terron E, Liz D, Robert EC.
Apologies: Heather, Becs, Erin.

1.Previous minutes OK. Main matters arising a)Intergroup guidelines and Mission discussion is ongoing and will feature next time
ACTION Terron to draft 5 bullets for review/vote next time
b) Work by Terron and Becs regarding, 'getting the word out without self-promoting'. This is ongoing. Good work done about paper and digital methods. Becs may be able to share a useful pamphlet next time. Terron reported exciting developments from New Zealand, 24hr/7day/365 access to a meeting (AA)
MEETING AGREED we can draw on wider circle of fellows to wherever good ideas are found (we could invite those with experience Aleks and Colin on Literature for example)
ACTION further updates next meeting Terron/Becs
ACTION Robert post paper notice example
Intergroup has said no to a coordinating role with literature and finance. This can be reviewed and changed. Survey results have been reviewed and circulated

2.Feedback subgroups:

Sponsorship, several participants noted a very good discussion was had but more time would be needed before making any proposals to intergroup. The group was mindful of the autonomy of groups and the sensitivities of guidance in a mental health field. Initial discussion around guidelines to become a sponsor, period of sobriety, being on programme for how long. Comfort and confidence development around ideas like co-sponsoring and temporary sponsors and having a guiding experienced sponsor

Website May be possible to have an on-line store (this development may require review of the inter-group role) Literature: Jan Fairburn may be the only current Literature Sec'. Terron mentioned the possibility of a 'Newcomer Digital Starter pack'
ACTION: Literature to be on the agenda again if only for updates
ACTION: Ann to ask Jan if she has anything to add
Ann outlined website additions and possible additions, first names, a cut and paste of minutes, ending times for meetings. The subgroup are taking responsibility for individual 'page ideas' and the website has become intergroup's area of control (signed off by Wednesday group)
ACTION: Subgroup outling further whats to be done. Meeting next week

3.Frequency of meetings
Time of 8pm considered OK and meeting approved a 6 week cycle as the number of inter group meetings should be sesitive to number of subgroup meetings
Chair to be chosen one meeting ahead. Chair to 'pull-together' agenda.
ACTION: Nick B to chair next time, 16th April
ACTION: Subgroup minutes and agenda items to Nick by 9th April

Minutes - Date: 06/02/2024

Meeting Chair: Erin
Note Taker: Terron E
Present at the Meeting
Anne S - Rep. Friday London Online
Nick B - Rep. Monday Online Meeting
Liz D - Rep. Lancaster Face to Face
Robert C - Rep. Sunday Nottingham Face to Face
Becs L - Tuesday Newcastle Face to Face
Erin - Rep. Wednesday London Online

Topics Discussed
EA Literature procurement and distribution: Becs started by answering a question from Liz how
literature purchasing was accomplished at the Newcastle face to face meeting. Terron E.
Expressed what he had learned about electronic literature and that EA international considered
about 20 pamphlets free and distributable. Possibility of making a “newcomers kit” out of them
but the Newcastle group conscious had not voted on that yet. It was believed that purchasing
and distributing Literature was not something the intergroup felt it should be involved with at this
time, but would consider adding a link to the free digital pamphlets.
Survey/Questionnaire sent to EA meetings: As a continuation to the previous Intergroup
meeting, in which discussion on responses to the survey topics were discussed, the responses
on the survey related to sponsorship were read to the group and considered. It was mentioned
how important sponsorship was in fulfilling tradition 5 and guiding those still suffering with the
steps/program. It was also mentioned that sponsors appeared to be a finite resource. This led
to questions surrounding sponsorship. and a subcommittee was created to provide some
guidance/talking points for the next intergroup meeting.

Finances: Question was raised about local EA meetings donating to Intergroup UK and
establishing a bank account. It was decided that Intergroup UK is currently not interested in
getting in the way of contributions to EA international and the need for a bank account deferred.

Web page : discussions were had related to what should, and should not be, on the Intergroup
web page, however, due to the fact that there is a subcommittee meeting related to the web
page in the near future and decisions were deferred. In the spirit of transparency, there was
some discussion related to putting mission statement on the intergroup web page. A draft
mission statement started to form discussions related to the survey responses (seen as extracts
from meeting minutes 1/9/24)

Next Steps
Web Site Meeting set for February 13th
Create draft on sponsorship - committee meeting set up for the 20th 8:00 pm BST
Further Discussions on Intergroup UK mission statement
Further Discussions on carrying the message without self promoting
Next meeting set for March 5th

Extract from the minutes 1/9/24 -The EA intergroup will

Provide Support , Guidance and Share information on Finance, Public Information, New
Meetings, Sponsorship, Conferences/Retreats and Service
Maintain and plan the development of the website; including up to date information for
newcomers (eg how to use zoom link to a newcomer rep or buddy), ‘what is EA’?, links to
literature, maintaining a list of sponsors and support for new sponsors(database), ability to
donate (to EA international), support line, search engine optimisation.
Carry the Message and Support the Newcomer; other fellowships, how to attract newcomers to
the fellowship, leaflets and posters
Provide Public Information; social media, information, churches, libraries, attractional leaflets
and experiential stories
Sponsorship; TBC

Minutes - Date: 09/01/2024

Meeting Chair: Robert 

Minute taker: Nick B

 

In attendance;

Anne S - Friday London online meeting

Becs L - Tuesday Newcastle face to face meeting

Paul G - Thursday Lancaster face-to face meeting

Robert - Sunday Nottingham face to face meeting

Heather - Sunday Reading online meeting

Nick - Monday online meeting

Erin – Wednesday

 

Apologies

Terron – Tues & Thursday Newcastle online meetings

 

Agenda

Questionnaire

 

Meeting minutes

Previous minutes were discussed, and an action remains for Anne to put a note on the EA Website about the EA Intergroup

 

Questionnaire

Becs fedback on the questionnaire results. 

It was suggested that the responses to the questionnaire could form the basis of the ‘terms or reference’ for the EA intergroup acknowledging the autonomy of each group and respect for the 12 traditions.

 

The EA intergroup will

1.        Provide Support , Guidance and Share information on Finance, Public Information, New Meetings, Sponsorship, Conferences/Retreats and Service

2.        Maintain and plan the development of the website; including up to date information for newcomers (eg how to use zoom link to a newcomer rep or buddy), ‘what is EA’?, links to literature, maintaining a list of sponsors and support for new sponsors(database), ability to donate (to EA international), support line, search engine optimisation.

3.        Carry the Message and Support the Newcomer; other fellowships, how to attract newcomers to the  fellowship, leaflets and posters

4.        Provide Public Information; social media, information, churches, libraries, attractional leaflets and experiential stories

5.        Sponsorship; TBC

 

Becs was thanked for the excellent format in which it was presented and a great piece of work

There will be an Interim meeting for the website – Anne to send out dates

DONM; Tuesday 6/2/24 at 8pm

Minutes - Date: 12/12/2023

Meeting Chair: Anne S

Minute taker: Becs L

 

In attendance;

Anne S - Friday London online meeting

Becs L - Tuesday Newcastle face to face meeting

Paul G - Thursday Lancaster face to face meeting

Robert - Sunday Nottingham face to face meeting

Terron - Tues & Thursday Newcastle online meetings

Heather - Sunday Reading online meeting

Nick - Monday online meeting

 

Agenda

Meeting Name

Frequency of meetings

Roles within intergroup

Terms of reference

 

Meeting minutes

 

Group decided on the name “UK Intergroup”

 

Becs taken down names and contact numbers as provided in the chat box and agreed to create a WhatsApp group under agreed name.

 

Frequency of meetings agreed to be currently flexible given that the group is new and in its infancy, to allow for development and growth. Next meeting in 4 weeks then will agree next date at that time.

 

Anne S discussed the current UK EA website, group voted/agreed to bring this in as the collective responsibility of the intergroup not just a singular person.

 

Suggestions to develop website;

- [ ] Website makeover

- [ ] Sponsorship on a national scale

- [ ] Resources for new sponsors

- [ ] Outreach availability and contacts

- [ ] Literature - points of contact

- [ ] Ideas of service roles

- [ ] Public information

 

Terron agreed to get in touch with EA and AA contacts in the US regarding public information strategies or ideas to stay in line with tradition 5.

 

Group discussed possibility of a social media presences also, to be further discussed when info re. Public information is gained.

 

Becs discussed the idea of creating a survey asking EA members what they would like to see from the intergroup, a sort of focus group. Becs agreed to create this and circulate around groups/meetings.

 

Roles within the intergroup;

- [ ] Website - group responsibility

- [ ] Chair - to rotate per meeting

- [ ] Minutes to rotate per meeting

- [ ] Treasurer - to be further discussed if needed.

 

Next meeting - 9th January 2024 at 8pm.

bottom of page